Frescobaldi 2.18 install problems on KXStudio

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Frescobaldi 2.18 install problems on KXStudio
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:54:33 -0600

After manually running updatedb and locate, then deleting any instance of frescobaldi and python-ly in /usr/* in order to remove prior version conflicts, I ran
sudo python setup.py install from the unzipped source directory, which finished as below (emphasis added):
**************************************
  Installing frescobaldi script to /usr/local/bin

  Installed /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/frescobaldi-2.18-py2.7.egg
  Processing dependencies for frescobaldi==2.18
  Searching for python-ly
  Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/python-ly/
  Best match: python-ly 0.9.1
  Downloading https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/python-ly/python-ly-0.9.1.tar.gz#md5=a412a8037db6895b94ae9489c8b6cf12
  Processing python-ly-0.9.1.tar.gz
  Writing /tmp/easy_install-yVEFJ6/python-ly-0.9.1/setup.cfg
  Running python-ly-0.9.1/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-yVEFJ6/python-ly-0.9.1/egg-dist-tmp-Nx2DFl
  zip_safe flag not set; analyzing archive contents...
  ly.data.makeschemedata: module references __file__
  Adding python-ly 0.9.1 to easy-install.pth file
  Installing ly script to /usr/local/bin

Installed /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/python_ly-0.9.1-py2.7.egg
Searching for python-poppler-qt4==0.16.3
Best match: python-poppler-qt4 0.16.3
python-poppler-qt4 0.16.3 is already the active version in easy-install.pth

Using /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages
Finished processing dependencies for frescobaldi==2.18
***********************************
The log output shows python-ly being fetched from pypi and apparently installed in the same directories as the frescobaldi code.
Running Frescobaldi gives me an error box with the following text:

**********************

We are sorry, but Frescobaldi can't run properly.

The python-ly package is not available or too old.

At least version 0.9 is required to run Frescobaldi.

If you did install python-ly correctly, please remove the old

ly package from the frescobaldi_app directory, or completely

remove and then reinstall Frescobaldi.

Having been an early adopter of Frescobaldi, even when it was still lilyKDE, I'm a bit taken aback at the challenges of this update. I realise it is quite likely I've missed an important instruction and I'm more than happy to be corrected.

Cheers,
Colin
--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.