Re: Pedal line staff sepation

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Pedal line staff sepation
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:27:05 -0000

Hi Andrew
you wrote Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:13 AM

> I would like to have piano music with a normal
> two staff layout with a separate line for dynamics
> and under that a separate line for pedal indications.
> Whatever I do I can only get the pedal and the
> dynamics staff overlapping at the same distance
> from the bottom stave. How does one achieve the
> separation and control over the spacing of multiple
> Dynamics staves in a a piano score? Do you need to
> create a special pedal context object?

No, there's no need for a special context object,
two Dynamic contexts will do.  The key things to
remember are that the flexible spacing variables
act on the space between the context in which they
are applied and the one below, and that Dynamic
contexts are of 'non-staff' type.  So you need to
change the nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing variables of
the uppermost Dynamic context.  Setting basic-distance
is probably sufficient:

\version "2.19.16"

\score {
  <<
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff { a' a' a' a' }
      \new Staff { \clef bass a a a a }

    \new Dynamics
    \with {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing.basic-distance = #4
    }
    { s\p s s\f s }
    \new Dynamics
    { s\sustainOn s s s\sustainOff }

}

If you want to understand this further, the section
to read is

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems

and the subsection

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems#spacing-of-non_002dstaff-lines