Re: Help please with alternate jazz chord naming system

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Help please with alternate jazz chord naming system
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 13:14:43 -0500

On Mar 10, 2015, at 8:35 PM, Peter Teeson <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Tim:
On 2015-03-09, at 2:53 PM, Tim McNamara <address@hidden> wrote:
There is also the pop-chords.ly file that can be used for chord names and I am working on modifying the same file to follow the Roemer chord name conventions which I will make available when done.
Have you finished the Brandt Roemer conventions or is it still a wip?

It’s mostly done, at least for all the chords I use regularly.  There is a deviation in that I have not put the extensions/tensions as superscripts to the chord because I find that harder to read on the fly.  But I like these conventions because no one ever asks me what they mean.  I’d be happy to send you the file as it stands.

 It appears that the OP would like Real Book style chord names; the pop-chords.ly file is easily modified.  It may be in the Lilypond snippet repository.  If not I can send a copy to the OP.
I am the OP <grin>.

LOL!  Sorry, I quickly lost track in the thread.

In fact I have both a "C" Edition Ultimate Jazz Fakebook published by Hal Leonard 1988/
this is a typeset book and was good for gigs.

I also have a "Real" book which was given to me. Don't like the font but the chord changes are OK.

I use the JazzLILY font which looks a lot like the old Real Book handwritten chart.