Re: Copying metronome marks to multiple \StaffGroup's

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Copying metronome marks to multiple \StaffGroup's
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:05:16 -0700

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 07:47:34PM +0100, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> How about :
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> myMusic = {
>   \tempo 4 = 120
>   a'
> }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff
>       \with { \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver" }
>       \myMusic
>     \new Staff \myMusic
>     \new StaffGroup <<
>       \new Staff
>         \with { \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver" }
>         \myMusic
>       \new Staff \myMusic
>       \new Staff \myMusic
>     >>
>   >>
>   \layout {
>     \context {
>       \Score
>       \remove "Metronome_mark_engraver"
>     }
>   }
> }
[...]

Hi Pierre,

This seems to work for the first page, but (1) it requires duplicating
\tempo markings on every stave, and (2) the Metronome_mark_engraver is
attached at the Staff level, rather than the StaffGroup level.

(1) is not a big deal; I can just define a variable for holding all
tempo changes and merge them into each staff using <<...>>, and it
should work.

For (2), however, I'm using "frenched" layout, i.e., omitting empty
staves on subsequent pages, so if the staff bearing the
Metronome_mark_engraver is elided, then wouldn't the tempo marking for
that StaffGroup disappear?

I did try to apply your suggestion to \StaffGroup instead of \Staff, but
the tempo markings failed to show up. I'm not sure I understand why.
Does the engraver only work at the Staff or Score contexts, but not
elsewhere?

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different
results.