Re: [savannah-help-public] Google Code will be no more at 2016-01-25

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Google Code will be no more at 2016-01-25
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 06:23:58 +0100 (CET)

>     assume that the Savane installation on Savannah will eventuall
>     move to FusionForge).
>
> There are no such plans at present.

Hmm.  How does the development of Savannah's bug tracking system work,
then?

>     I would be glad if we could use Savannah
>
> Ok, I'll look into the image-displaying feature.  Unless by some
> miracle "someone" else gets there first :).

Thanks!

>     while github is able to display images, you can't have any
>     non-image attachments, which is very annoying.
>
> Sounds like as much of a killer as not being able to display images.

Definitely.  For patches, the natural way on github is to clone a
project's repository, adding your changes, then submitting a pull
request.  This workflow is admittedly superior to submitting a patch
in many situations, especially if communication doesn't happen within
e-mail lists.  However, for quickly providing data files this is not
the right way IMHO, and I don't understand why the github people don't
implement that.

>     My suggestion is to use netpbm programs to filter everything,
>     [...]
>
> Ok, sounds good.  I wasn't sure if that would be sufficient.

Why not?  Limiting to a small set of image formats supported by most
browsers seems sensible to me.

> You could also try talking to the people at gna, but I don't know
> who they are, if anyone.  (A recent minor issue I submitted there
> has gone unanswered.)

Beuc is the adminstrator there, and he is also a Savannah
adminstrator, AFAIK.  Perhaps you should do a ping.

    Werner