Re: Slurs

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Slurs
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 08:25:09 -0000

Daniel you wrote Saturday, March 14, 2015 12:17 AM

> I’m typesetting an aria that has several melismatic
> passages with smaller, individually slurred phrases
> over single syllables. Using automatic text setting
> obviously won’t work here. I’d rather not set the
> lyrics with manual durations because the majority
> of the score doesn’t require it. The only other
> solution I can think of is to hide the slurs in
> these passages and simultaneously use phrasing
> slurs, but this also would be rather cumbersome.
> Any suggestions for an easier, more elegant solution?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want here
(a small example showing the problem will always
result in a greater number of more helpful responses)
but there are other ways of indicating a melisma.
Perhaps the one you want is the single underscore in
the lyrics.  See the last one in
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#multiple-notes-to-one-syllable

Trevor