Re: Chord names broken since 2.16

From: Jan Kohnert
Subject: Re: Chord names broken since 2.16
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 01:33:52 +0100

Hi,

(all examples in C major for reading purposes, and German notation, so h(German)=b(English), and b(German)=(b-flat(English))

Am , schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi all,

add9 is different from sus2, as add11 is different from sus4

Really? In the musical theatre world, "add9” rarely (if ever) appears;
the preferred notation is “add2” (which, as a side benefit, makes
sight reading things like “C9” even faster and less error-prone).

you might be true in this special case, but I (in my personal view) consider this to be inconsistent. And that is why:
Csus2 = <c d g>
Cadd9 = <c e g d>
Csus4 = <c f g>
Cadd11 = <c e g f>

You see, there's a different meaning in the chords, since there's another musicional intention behind it: either I want the 3rd (whether minor or major) to be played (regardless of the instrumentalist beeing able to play it (again: Guitarist)), or not. And the chords sound different, as they should… :)

I confess, the only two chords I can imagine right now beeing displayed with an "add" is "add9" and "add11" in cases (like Jazz notation), when someone reading C9 or C11 assumes the chord is C7/9 or C7/9/11, respectivly. But again, this is only my personal experience, YMMV.

And this is also, why I introduced the example C13 vs. C6: For C13 I whould read C7/9/13, whereas a C6 whould just be a plain C with an added 6th. If one needs more complicated stuff, like #9, b13 a.s.o. I'd emphasize to write and print that special one down; Realbook-Style…

Nothing I ever saw displayed Cadd6add9

+1

I have started to write things like “add6,9” for multi-adds.

I never saw that, but ok… I'd write that as C6/9 to be able to distiguish between a plain C9 (read as C7/9). I've never seen that "add" stuff in other cases than I said earlier. Could you provide an example for such a notation? I would be very interested in seeing such a notation.

The best solution is probably to have different defaults, but in any way: if chords are intented musically different, they should display in different ways…

**All other things being equal**, I would concur. However, I’ve found
(through much trial and error, in both jazz and musical theatre pit
orchestra contexts) that the chord symbols should always err on the
side of sight-readable if the “theoretically correct” version requires
any second thought.

Agreed. I'd suggest a notation where one can select different defaults, varying by the the intended musicians to read the score. What I've seen so far is (not a complete list, of course):

Version 1:
C = <c e g>
Csus2 = <c d g>
Csus4 = <c f g>
C6 = <c e g a>
C7 = <c e g b>
C7/9 = <c e g b d>
C6/9 = <c e g a d>
C9 = <c e g d>
C7/#9 = <c e g b dis>
C7/9/11 = <c e g b d f>
C11 = <c e g f>
C7/9/13 = <c e g b d a>
C7/#9/b13 = <c e g b dis as>

Version 2:
C = <c e g>
Csus2 = <c d g>
Csus4 = <c f g>
C6 = <c e g a>
C7 = <c e g b>
C9 = <c e g b d>
C6/9 = <c e g a d>
Cadd9 = <c e g d>
C7/#9 = <c e g b dis>
C11 = <c e g b d f>
Cadd11 = <c e g f>
C13 = <c e g b d a>
C7/#9/b13 = <c e g b dis as>

Version 3:
[please continue]

Version 2 whould probably be read more quickly and correct by Jazz musicians, version 1 is more "correct" for a non-expert, but harder to read (since notated more complicated) for everyone else. I'd be interested in version 3, or 4, or…

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Jan Kohnert