Re: Some MIDI questions

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Some MIDI questions
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 19:42:54 -0700

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:09:18PM -0400, Peter Teeson wrote:
> My lead sheet is done and now I want to work on the instruments.
>
> So my first question is
> #1 How to I stop the lyrics from appearing in the MIDI file?

When it comes to working with MIDI in lilypond, your best bet is always
to put your music in variables and use a separate \score dedicated for
MIDI, where you can put in only stuff intended for MIDI and leave out
everything else (or conversely, put in stuff needed to make MIDI work
nicely but shouldn't appear in the typeset score).

So I would put the music in one (set of) variable(s), and the lyrics in
another variable, and then in the \score block intended for typesetting,
use both (set of) variables, while in the \score block intended for
MIDI, leave out the lyrics variable(s). Something like this:

        music = ... % put your instrumental notes here
        lyrics = ... % put your lyrics here

        % This block is intended for layout
        \score {
                \music
                \addlyrics \lyrics
                \layout {}
        }

        % This block is intended only for MIDI
        \score {
                \music
                % N.B. don't put \lyrics here
                \midi {}
        }

> Also
> #2 How do I set the MIDI channel to use - in this case for the
> vibraphone?

Perhaps this page might help?

        http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/midi-instruments

It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters. -- Lucius
Annaeus Seneca