Re: Chord names broken since 2.16

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Chord names broken since 2.16
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 07:58:40 +0100

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 01:33:52 +0100
Jan Kohnert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Version 2 whould probably be read more quickly and correct by Jazz
> musicians, version 1 is more "correct" for a non-expert,

I doubt this. Even a non-expert needs to know a few basic things. E.g., C is
a major triad. Cm is minor triad. 7 is a dominant 7th. 9 implies 7. 11
implies 7 and 9. Sus4 implies no 3rd. That's about it.

A real non-expert would go for <c e g> and so on.

A bottom line for me is that different combinations of notes should not
collapse into the same chord symbol, and that established conventions
should be followed as much as possible.

See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_chord

-- Johan