Re: Dynamics context vs. dynamics in staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Dynamics context vs. dynamics in staff
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 09:34:18 -0400

Hi Joram,

> What do you do for piano music?

I use a Dynamics context exclusively. Actually, I use up to three: (*always*)
the standard one between the piano staves, and (*as needed*) one above the top
piano staff and/or below the bottom piano staff for dynamics which are
exclusive to music in either staff.

My custom PianoDynamics context (which is \include-d automatically) is tweaked
so that it essentially never pushes the piano staves too far apart; in the
[extremely rare] case that it does, I manually tweak the DynamicText (using
\editionEngraver) so that it either moves or is ignored in the spacing, and
thus allows the piano staves to move closer together.

As for the skyline issue… I still wish we had a real automatic solution. (See
<https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1127>.)

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer