Handling symlinks with Python on Windows

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Handling symlinks with Python on Windows
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:12:43 +0100

Hi all,

as far as I've read it is hard or even impossible to create/delete symbolic links with Python on Windows.
Could someone verify this and/or give me some help on the subject?

I have written a script that makes obtaining, updating and installing Abraham Lee's alternative notation fonts from http://fonts.openlilylib.org a completely automatic process for any number of LilyPond installations, and it works well on Linux and Mac. But before "publishing" it I would like to have it work on Windows too, but I need someone helping me with the code.

The script stores the actual font files in a local "repository" and creates symlinks in the LilyPond installation to make them accessible. If that works on Windows only under certain conditions (I read something about "elevated user accounts") the script would need to check if these conditions are met. If the conditions are not met or if it doesn't work at all on Windows the script should instead make physical copies of the files. In either case I'd need someone helping me with the code how to do it on Windows and how to execute code based on OS.

Please contact me, and I'll give you more details where to look at the existing code.

Best
Urs