beginner score error

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: beginner score error
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:23:55 -0700

I'm trying to create a simple score with voice/lyrics and piano. I'm
basing it on a snippet I found in Frescobaldi, but entering things
myself with a few differences, as a learning exercise. The error I get
in the \score block when I engrave is:

| syntax error, unexpected \lyricsto, expecting SCM_IDENTIFIER or
| SCM_TOKEN or STRING \new Lyrics = \lyricsto mel \text

Here's the working example:

\version "2.19.12"
\language "english"

% variables
global = {
  \key e \minor
  \time 2/2
  \tempo 4 = 120
}

melody = \relative c' {
  \global
  \clef bass
  a2 b2 |
}

text = \lyricmode {
  hel -- lo |
}

chordsymbols = \chordmode {
  % chords here
}

upper = \relative c'' {
  \global
  \clef treble
  a2 b2 |
}

lower = \relative c {
  \global
  \clef bass
  a2 b2 |
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = "mel" { \autoBeamOff \melody }
    \new Lyrics = \lyricsto mel \text
    \new ChordNames = "chordsymbols"
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "upper" \upper