Manual "gotcha": beatStructure

From: James Harkins
Subject: Manual "gotcha": beatStructure
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 14:20:36 +0800

I just got slightly confused trying to use beatStructure, and a small edit to
the manual might help.

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

five = {
  \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(3 2)
  \time 5/8
}

seven = {
  \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(3 2 2)
  \time 7/8
}

\new RhythmicStaff {
  % \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
  \set Timing.baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1/8)
  \seven b8 b b b b b b
  \five b8 b b b b
}

The 7/8 bar shows with flags, not beams.

I think it must be that the variable implicitly creates a separate voice, and
the beatStructure applies only within the voice. Replacing "Timing" with
"Staff" fixes it.

I don't see it mentioned in the manual that, if you \set Timing.beatStructure,
this must be in the same context where you write the notes. The manual says
"Beam setting changes can be limited to specific contexts," but it doesn't say
that they ARE limited to the nearest enclosing context if you follow the syntax
in most of the examples (using Timing).

hjh