Re: Directional NoteHead Stencil Support

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Directional NoteHead Stencil Support
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:37:26 -0500

Hi Harm,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:21 AM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> Finding the path from one object to another is usually just a matter of trial-and-error, following this path, following that path, until you reach the pot of gold.
>>

> You might find the attached file helpful.  Given a grob name, it will output a list of each interface supported by the grob and the objects accessible through those interfaces.   More information might be added--the type (whether a single grob or a grob-array) and the documentation string associated with it.
>
> Hope this is helpful!
> David

Hi David,

thanks a lot for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're very welcome!  When I wrote "trial-and-error" above that bugged me a little.  Well, still trial and error is involved, but at least you don't have to page back and forth through the Internals Reference.

Of course, the best thing would be to be able to write something like
(ly:grob-all-chains-of-reference grobA grobB)
and get the various chains of references.  (I suppose ly:grob-shortest-chain-of-reference might not be a good idea, since you would turn up links involving members of grob-arrays that would change--like 'elements, for example.)  You'd need to figure in parents, spanner bounds too, and my head is swimming.

Btw, the IR stating:

  conditional-elements (array of grobs)
  Internal use only.

is a joke.

How so?  (I'm not familiar with conditional-elements.)

--David

P.S.  Just this moment, Marc Hohl posted the commit message I was ready to cut-and-paste!  FWIW, I'll mention how I found it (though my bag of tricks is pretty small).  I used

git log -p lily/rhythmic-column-engraver.cc