Re: Narrow down search of Lilypond documentation to English

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Narrow down search of Lilypond documentation to English
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 17:16:55 +0100

Il giorno sab 21 mar 2015 alle 16:39, Colin Tennyson <address@hidden> ha scritto:
If you click on "Search tools", just below the search bar of google, a dropdown menu appears where you can choose to display only pages in your
 language.

Here's an odd thing: it seems that Google displays differently to different
users.
In my case Google offers me three (drop down menu) Search Tools:
- Anytime (the dropdown offers choices of time frame)
- All results (the dropdown menu offers: 'all results', 'reading level',
'verbatim')
- Location (the city I live in)

So in my case , visiting Google using Firefox, the search tools do not offer
language selection.
But I understand from you that you *do* get a language selection option.

(Of course, there are also the Google preferences, where you can set things
like 'Safe search filters' and 'results per page' and so on. I those
preferences there is a language selection option and I have set Google to
serve me pages in english only. (Now, as far as I know Google doesn't
enforce that preference rigidly. If I type in a non-english word I also get search results in the language that that word is from. My impression is that
the Google engineers choose to cast a wide net.))

You should be able to set the language here:
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Unfortunately, there's no language: operator to use directly in the main search.

 It's because of the automatic language selection.
An URL without extension will serve a different page depending on the language settings of the user browser: name.it.html if italian, name.html
 if english and so on.

That is new to me. I consider myself to be a heavy internet browsing user, a
heavy Google user; I have not come across this before.
Can you possibly direct me to more information about this?

I don't know the details of how it works.
I think that you should google "language negotiation apache" :-)