Re: Manual "gotcha": beatStructure

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Manual "gotcha": beatStructure
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 09:49:23 +0800

On March 22, 2015 12:00:05 AM "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think it must be that the variable implicitly creates a separate voice, and the beatStructure applies only within the voice.

No, that's not the reason. The reason is that there is a separate beatStructure for each value of the time signature, and changes are applied to the time signature that is currently in force. So \beatStructure in \seven amends the beat structure in the default time signature of 4/4 and the one in \five amends the beat structure in the then current 7/8, which for the short example you give fools you by looking correct.

So reverse the ordering of the \time and the \Timing.beatStructure commands and it will do what you expect.

OK, I understand. Thanks for clarifying. I think it's worth mentioning in the manual.

Re: Mark's comment about checking the examples -- I've found in the SuperCollider community (where much of the documentation is "by example" with spotty, if any, explanatory text) that users are endlessly creative in drawing the wrong conclusion about the concepts that an example is supposed to show. I've been similarly creative here. ;-p

hjh

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com