Re: Messiaen-style ties?

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Messiaen-style ties?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 13:48:15 -0700 (MST)

Trevor,

Try something like

<c f>\repeatTie

- Abraham

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Trevor Bača-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know how produce the style of ties used by Messiaen (or his publisher)?

I've attached an image file taken from a first page of results given by Google images.

The style of ties is unconventional because there are effectively no ties exiting tied notes (or chords); only ties entering into non-first notes (or chords) joined together in series. (The augmented fourth held in the pianist's left hand in the bottom system provides a good example of this.)

I haven't yet used this style of tie in my own scores. But it seems like it might be a particularly effective way to reduce the graphic noise dense chords cause when tied over long durations.

(One last thought: Messiaen's notation might be conceptually equivalent to a type of "reverse" l.v. indication. That might help provide a name for the feature should it ever find its way into LilyPond.)

--
Trevor Bača
[hidden email]