Re: Narrow down search of Lilypond documentation to English

From: Colin Tennyson
Subject: Re: Narrow down search of Lilypond documentation to English
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:10:53 -0700 (MST)

Simon Albrecht wrote:
> You have to learn the English command names, indeed, but
> it’s by no means necessary to read the source code for creating any
> score with Lilypond.

Erm, surely it was clear that I was referring to creating Lilypond files, to
be rendered to scores, by the Lilypond engine.

For comparison: SVG. The source for an SVG image is in english, all the
commands are english words.
So if I say: "SVG source code is in english so anyone who wants to create
SVG files has to master english anyway" then surely the assumption must be
that I'm referring to creating source for an SVG image, not referring to
writing source code that compiles to an SVG *rendering engine*.

But yeah, there's an ambiguity.
In Lilypond files you declare variables and the Lilypond parser resolves
those variables, like declaring variables in code. So yeah, I referred to
writing the source for a score as writing 'Lilypond source code'.
Point taken, in the future I will refer to Lilypond source as 'Lilypond
source', reserving the expression 'Lilypond source code' for
source-code-for-the-Lilypond-rendering-engine.

Colin Tennyson