Re: Disappearing barlines with skipBars - possible bug?

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Disappearing barlines with skipBars - possible bug?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:01:32 +0000

At 23:42 on 23 Mar 2015, Kevin Barry wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Mark Knoop <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Barlines disappear when skipBars is true and a note duration
>> continues over the bar. I don't think this should happen.
>
>It is consistent with the IR definition of the property: `If set to
>true, then skip the empty bars that are produced by
>multimeasure /notes/ and rests' [my emphasis]. So it applies to both
>notes and rests.

I disagree. The definition states nothing about hiding *barlines*
(although technically the implementation of this will obviously involve
hiding barlines). Also, in the example given, none of the bars are
empty - each bar has an event.

>You may be right that the behaviour is undesirable though. I must admit
>that I can't think of a score where this would be an issue.

Tuplets across barlines are a relatively common notational practice and
work perfectly well in LilyPond. It is undesirable that they should
require a workaround for use in parts with skipBars.

>If you think this should be changed maybe you should forward your mail
>to the bug mailing list: address@hidden

I would be interested in others' opinions on this.

--
Mark Knoop