Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.18

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.18
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:25:15 -0600

On 2015-03-23 18:37, SoundsFromSound wrote:
Hi all,

I also am having quite a headache installing the new Frescobaldi 2.18 and
python-ly on my friend's laptop. It's a new, clean install on Debian and I
left all install locations as their default. I am getting the same error,
saying python-ly is not found/up-to-date so Frescobaldi can't even open.

Can you please tell me how I can fix this and get the application up and
running? I tried removing all traces of Frescobaldi and then installing them
to a different location, and still the same error. I've always had success
updating Frescobaldi but 2.18 is the first time I've had such trouble. I'm
certain it's to do with the python-ly install but I can't figure out why no
matter where or how I install it, it fails.

Thank you so much for any help!

Hi Ben!

Could you describe more in detail what steps you took to install Python-ly and Frescobaldi?

Best
Peter

Here is a quote from the devel list, where I had a similar sdounding problem:
***************************

On 2015-03-11 12:16 AM, Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
Op Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:53:03 -0600
Colin Campbell <address@hidden> schreef:

  >>> import ly.pkginfo
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named pkginfo
Strange. There must be an old 'ly' module lying around on your system,
because pkginfo was already added quite some time ago.

Please, give me the result of:

$ python
import ly
ly.__path__
ly.__file__

Nailed it, Wilbert! It seems that I must be the first person to install python-ly as well as Adam Spiers' ly2video. That's a really cool utility which takes a .ly project, compiles to MIDI and ultimately gives an AVI file with the score scrolling past over the synchronised MIDI.

address@hidden ~$ python
Python 2.7.8 (default, Oct 20 2014, 15:05:19)
[GCC 4.9.1] on linux2
>>> import ly
>>> ly.__path__
*['/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ly2video-0.4.1-py2.7.egg/ly']*
>>> ly.__file__
*'/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ly2video-0.4.1-py2.7.egg/ly/__init__.pyc'*

[1]+  Stopped                 python
address@hidden ~$

Adam's .egg file exists as a .zip and inside the .zip is a folder named ly. I'm copying this to the -dev list because it might be wise for the LilyPond community to restrict the name ly for core lilypond use only. A major strength of LilyPond is the community of supporting and supplemental utilities which has grown around LP, but the risk of this sort of conflict will probably only grow, especially as "ly" is an obvious name for a folder.

@devel: The problem comes from installing python-ly for the new 2.18 version of Frescobaldi, which makes Frescobaldi look for a folder named "ly" outside its own code. It uses the first one it finds on the path, opening the possibility that a conflicting version is found first, with the result that Frescobaldi errors off.

Cheers,
Colin
--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
You need to be able to throw something back.