Re: Problem with repeat alternative endings that contain lyrics and lead

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Problem with repeat alternative endings that contain lyrics and leading rests
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:08:59 +0100

Am 25.03.2015 um 10:01 schrieb Nathan Ho:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Peter Heisen
<address@hidden> wrote:
Dear List,

The LilyPond notation reference, section 2.1.2,
(http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics)
contains the following example of how to use lyrics in concert with repeat
alternative endings.  It compiles fine in version 2.18.2, showing both the
first and second endings complete with lyrics:

[...]

In the following modified example, the first beat of each ending has been
changed to a rest, and a syllable removed from the lyrics to match.  Now
when compiled, it shows two first endings and two second endings.  Moreover
the log contains the error "warning: already have a volta spanner, ending
that one prematurely". I have scoured the documentation and searched the
list archives, and cannot find any mention of this.  Can you help?
It displays properly if you remove the \repeat ... \alternative
structure from the lyrics:

\score {
   <<
     \new Staff {
       \time 2/4
       \new Voice = "melody" {
         \relative c'' {
           a4 a a a
           \repeat volta 2 { b4 b }
           \alternative { { r b } { r c } }
     \new Lyrics {
       \lyricsto "melody" {
         Not re -- peat -- ed.
         Re -- peat
         twice. twice.

The reason is that the lyric code creates first and second endings
that line themselves up with the first lyric event they see, and it's
not aware of the rests going on in the Staff. So you get two
misaligned volta repeat systems, causing the funky output.

I'm not entirely sure how to enter the structure into the lyrics in a
way that lines up with the staff. Either way, I feel that the code in
the documentation is misleading.
Perhaps this is no wonder since IMO Lilypond actually lacks a sensible interface to enter repeats in lyrics. But this would of course require a lot of design.

Yours,
Simon