Re: rest placement in multi-voice piano staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: rest placement in multi-voice piano staff
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:52:06 -0400

Hi David,

> I had intended to use the automatic voicing, but somehow got the syntax
> wrong.
> Nor did I realize that for voices 3 and 4, you use \voiceOne and \voiceTwo.

That’s not exactly the way I would put it…

What you call “voices 3 and 4” are actually voices 1 and 2 **in the lower
staff**. If you have three or four actual different (polyphonic) voices in a
single staff, then you would use \voiceThree and \voiceFour. In other words,
each Staff context can have its own \voiceOne, \voiceTwo, etc. [Voice] contexts.

> That explains why I had to add lots of \stemUp and \stemDown commands.

Yes. And with more complex scores, you’d have to add lots of other similar
commands (e.g., \tieUp, \stemUp), all of which Lily handles automatically when
you use the correct structure.

Best regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer