cadenza_and_accidentals

From: address@hidden
Subject: cadenza_and_accidentals
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:25:41 +0000 (GMT)

I ran into some seemingly odd output when using \cadenzaOn and \cadenzaOff.

According to this:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#unmetered-music

...it is clear that using \bar "|" will not reset accidental display rules.
What it doesn't say is that even placing \cadenzaOff *before* the \bar "|"
doesn't do so, either.  Here is the example from the manual with an added key
signature and a slight rearrangement of the input for illustration.

%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

\score {
  \relative c'' {
    \key a \major
    c4 d e d
    \cadenzaOn
    cis4 d cis d
    \bar "|"
    % First cis is printed without alteration even if it's after a \bar
    %% ** Even after \cadenzaOff **
    \cadenzaOff
    \bar "|"
    cis4 d cis! d
%%%%%

I understand that simply placing \bar "|" won't reset the accidental behavior
but it is curious that a \bar "|" after \cadenzaOff also doesn't do so
immediately.  That is not clear from the documentation.  Also, in this example
it is necessary to suppress not only the first cis in the last measure but the
second one as well.  In the printed output the cadenza is finished  and a bar
line has been crossed.  The key signature is now in full force.

So, two things:

1) The documentation seems somewhat wanting in this case.

2) How do I suppress a single accidental?

-David