Re: Automatic breaks not working?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Automatic breaks not working?
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:46:07 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Barker" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: "A. Sentman" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2015 1:22 AM

At 22:47 27/03/2015 +0000, A. Sentman wrote:
I have a couple of files where Lilypond fails to wrap the score across multiple lines, and instead cuts it off at the edge of the page. Most of these are fairly large files, and it seems to happen consistently if there are more staves than can fit vertically on the page. What I did: I used lilypond to render the example at the bottom of this post. What I expected: The score wraps to the next line after the sixth measure. What happened: The score does not wrap, instead running off of the edge of the page.

This is because your score makes no sense, I'm afraid. With a time signature of C, your second occurrence of "r4.." in the top staff spans the line between the first and second bars. If I comment out the initial "r4" and "r16", in the top staff, the score breaks after bar 5 and again after bar 9. This may not be the music that you mean, but it illustrates the cause of the problem. The third staff then throws a similar problem in bar 13, where the "d4." again spans the line between bars 13 and 14.

Once you have a score that properly respects bar lines, the automatic line breaks will behave themselves.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

This problem is shown up if bar checks are used. I suggest the original poster should read the sections on bar checks in the Learning Manual and Notation Reference.

--
Phil Holmes