Having shortInstrumentName appear at start of score (instead of instrume

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Having shortInstrumentName appear at start of score (instead of instrumentName)?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:46:32 -0400

Hi,

Let's say that I have a stylesheet that sets instrumentName values and shortInstrumentName values for a bunch of contexts in the normal way:

    \context {
        \Staff
        instrumentName = \markup { Flute }
        shortInstrumentName = \markup { Fl. }
    }
    \context {
        \Staff
        instrumentName = \markup { Oboe }
        shortInstrumentName = \markup { Ob. }

QUESTION: is there a way to have the shortInstrumentName values appear at the start of the score (meaning that the instrumentName values will never appear)?

The question looks pathological. (Why would you set a value for instrumentName if you don't want instrumentName to appear in the score?) But the motivation is as follows. I have a complex score that I've broken into multiple chunks (meaning separate LilyPond files with separate score blocks). All chunks \include the same stylesheet. But I want instrumentName to appear at the start of only chunk 1 (because chunk 1 is the start of the actual sore). For chunks 2, 3, ... I'd like shortInstrumentName to appear at the start of each "score" (because each non-first "score" is actually modeling subsequent parts of the one actual score).

I can't imagine that there would be a setting for this. But is there some sort of Scheme wizardry that can be put at the beginning of each of the non-first score chunks to say "set instrumentName to the value of shortInstrumentName"?

That would be truly amazing.

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača