Re: Messiaen-style ties?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Messiaen-style ties?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:53:48 -0500

Hi Trevor,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 9:08 PM, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Kieren, Simon, Pierre, Abraham & everyone,

Just a follow up that using \repeatTie does definitely accomplish what I was looking for; I have it integrated into the score now and it's working in all configurations.

A remaining question: I'm guessing there's not a way to lengthen repeat-ties? (Hence why Pierre demoed the work-around of hiding preceding grace notes?)

I tried messing with the X-extent of the LaissezVibrerTieColumn grob ...

The relevant grob would be RepeatTie.  Unfortunately, this doesn't lengthen the tie, only the space given it.

\new Staff \with {
    \override LaissezVibrerTieColumn #'X-extent = #'(-3 . 3)
} {
    c'2
    c'2 \repeatTie
    c'2 \repeatTie
    c'2 \repeatTie
}

... but apparently to no avail.

If anyone has magic available to lengthen repeat-ties, that would be awesome.

The property 'minimum-length doesn't seem to have an effect, so why not use the override of X-extent in conjunction with \shape?  Something like:

 \new Staff \with {
    \shape #'((-1.5 . 0) (-1 . 0) (-0.5 . 0) (0 . 0)) RepeatTie
    \override RepeatTie.X-extent = #'(-5 . 3)

} {
    c'2
    c'2 \repeatTie
    c'2 \repeatTie