Re: parts for natural horns and trumpets

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: parts for natural horns and trumpets
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 12:06:42 -0700

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
You may have a look at https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/editorial-tools/auto-transpose

That's pretty awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't behave like I'd expect by default. Here's an example:

\version "2.19.15"

\include "auto-transpose.ily"

music = \relative c'
{
  \transposition f
  c1 |
}

\score
{
  \new Staff \with { \autoTranspose } \music
}

Playing a middle C with an F transposition I'd expect the output to be a fifth down instead it results in a fifth up. There are two variable which control this: 'music-concert-pitch' - is the music entered in concert pitch, and 'print-concert-pitch' - should the output music be concert pitch (as opposed to the transposition pitch). By default it's set to the music being entered in concert pitch and to output the music in the transposed pitch. This is the opposite of what lilypond's 'transposition' means. Switching these around works great, but the default seems wrong.

Anyway, this is a _very_ useful function. Functionality like this should be part of liliypond itself. Thanks.

-----Jay