Re: \uppercase function

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: \uppercase function
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 16:00:12 -0400

Hi David,

> you could just as easily write the following:
>
> \header {
>   myTitle = #"myOtherTitle"
>   title = \markup {
>     from \italic #(string-upcase myTitle)
>   }
> }

Yes, but at that point, why not just write

  \header {
    title = “MY OTHER TITLE"
  }

??  ;)

Here’s the concrete use-case:
1. I have musical theatre pieces with (naturally enough) title case titles,
such as “My Lucky Day”.
2. When they’re included in the Piano/Conductor score (or other score from the
regular performance materials), the title should remain in title case.
3. When they’re included in a songbook, I’m trying to show the title in the the
expected format, which is all-caps (cf. modern Warner-Chappell imprints), e.g.,
“MY LUCKY DAY”.
4. I want to accomplish this entirely in the stylesheets, and not have to have
two different ways of inputting the title in the code/content.

It seems odd to me that it’s so convoluted a process — and apparently so
different, depending on whether it’s a string or a property.  =\

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>