Fwd: Function to add a drone staff?

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: Fwd: Function to add a drone staff?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 15:19:36 +0200

On 10 April 2015 at 00:55, Gilles <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 17:35:53 +0200, Sven Axelsson wrote:
>>
>> Intersting. I have never tried to generate midi output for bagpipe
>> music. I suspect grace notes are not handled well.
>
> Not worse than in another kind of music. ;-)

So, terribly then. ;) At least for Scottish GHB, where there often are
runs of 4-5 grace notes that need to be played without breaking
the rhythm of the music.

>> But in regards to
>> the dronification, all of the music, both melody and drone, should be
>> played legato.
>

> Indeed.
> The solution devised by Paul works fine (Thanks!) except for
> that aspect.  With the "manual" drone, one writes ties between
> the notes; is it possible to add it to the function?
>
>> Is that also something that could be set up easily with
>> a music function?
>>
>> I'm the maintainer of Lilypond's bagpipe mode, by the way.
>

> Would you consider making "\dronify" part of a toolkit?
> Personally, I don't use LilyPond's bagpipe mode, as it
> seems completely biased towards the Scottish pipe. There
> are many other kinds! :-)

Well, sure it is biased since that's what I play myself. I guess
\bagpipe is a misnomer, but \greathighlandbagpipe is a bit
long, no?

So, what kind do you play?

> Wouldn't it be interesting to separate what is generally
> valid for all bagpipes (or, actually, continuous sound
> music) from what is specific to a given tradition (e.g.
> the naming of the ornaments)?

I'm not sure if there is enough commonality between different
bagpipe types to justify a common mode. Some play in a fixed
key (various Scottish highland pipes), some are more or less
chromatic. Some are constant tone/drone, and some can play
staccato (Uilleann and Northumbrian). And Uilleann can also
switch the drone on/off while playing.

--
Sven Axelsson