Re: Function to add a drone staff?

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Function to add a drone staff?
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 21:04:09 +0200

Hello.

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:19:31 -0700 (MST), Paul Morris wrote:
Gilles Sadowski wrote
It works but the sound is still cut after every bar: It looks like no
tie was added to the last note of a bar.

What is the advantage of using "\makeOctaves" wrt having two
"\dronify"?

Hi Gilles,

You're welcome. There's no real advantage to using \makeOctaves, just a matter of preference on how you want to set it up. Nothing wrong with
having two \dronify staves or voices.

OK. Thanks.

It's working for me here with simple examples like the following, both visually and in midi output, and in 2.18.2 and 2.19.18. Can you give a tiny
example showing the sound being cut after every bar?

It happens when you use bar checks!
The sound is continuous without them but it would be quite annoying to
encode without their help for spotting mistakes... [I use version 2.18.2.]

In addition, the midi volume and instrument used for the drone must be
different from that of the main melody (in order not to overwhelm the
melody lines). I've been playing a little with your function but I only
ended up being able to change all the voices at the same time. :-{
In short, those lines
   \set midiInstrument = "accordion"
   \set midiMinimumVolume = #0.2
   \set midiMaximumVolume = #0.3
should be inserted in the drone "Voice".

Thanks a lot,
Gilles

Cheers,
-Paul