Re: Introducing some 'path' drawing tools

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Introducing some 'path' drawing tools
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 00:00:25 -0400

Nice work Pierre!  This is great.  I look forward to taking a closer look.
Cheers,
-Paul

On Apr 15, 2015, at 4:13 PM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi List,

Tonight I'd like to share with you some tools I'm experimenting for a couple of weeks that can ease to make drawings with the 'path' command.

Almost everyone here uses postscript images when a new glyph is needed. But it may causes some issues (no svg, some overrides are not possible  e.g. color...)
So why not using 'path'?

For sure, when I first put my eyes here (scroll down until 'samplePath'): http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/graphic.fr.html with its weird fight glove glyph it looked a little mysterious. But after many trials and with some self-made tools to help me finding the right coordinates it revealed that it's a pretty powerful toy.
And a recent conversation made me think that maybe I could re-think and enhanced those tools and shared them with you. So, here we go!

The idea is to use LP and your favorite editor as a cad.
So please find herewith "graphPaper.ily" and an unfinished example to show you how my glyphs are constructed.
Basically, all you need is knowing how to find coordinates on a graph, combining an original glyph behind the graph paper and follow the lines with the specific path commands: moveto, lineto, curveto, closepath (note that I only use absolute coordinates).
"graphPaper.ily" includes a graph paper ("1" equivalent to the distance between 2 staff lines) and ready to use tangents to help you to choose the right Bézier coordinates.
I also put lots of comments in the example. Please feel free to ask if anythings' unclear or badly explained.

Waiting for your comments,
Cheers,
Pierre

PS. Recent path examples added to the LSR:
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=991
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=989
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=988
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=987
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=986
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=984
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=982 (with absolute coordinates, LP has already one with relatives')
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=973 (pseudo stems)
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=904
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=900
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=890

If you're still interested after this toooo-long list, Paul's specific snippet are very helpful too:
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=891
- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=623

lilypond-user mailing list