Re: Survey: Large scores

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Survey: Large scores
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:06:12 -0400

Hi Urs,

> Basically I'd be interested in an estimate if there are practical limitations
> where one would be better off skipping a commission because LilyPond would be
> at its limit.

I have yet to reach that point, and I’ve Lily-pound four stage musicals, a
chamber opera, 9-minute works for full orchestra and choir, and so on.

That being said, in most of my long works (i.e., musicals and operas), I am
fortunate that I can compartmentalize the engraving work into much smaller
sections (e.g., movements or even songs). For example, I have a
“MyWork_fullscore_single” file, which I use to get each segment nearly to
perfection; only once all the segments are nearly perfect on their own do I
attempt to combine them all into the “MyWork_fullscore” file and compile the
final score all at once.

My reaction (based mostly on the excruciating amount of time it took to
recompile that 9-minute orchestra and choir work) is that I wouldn’t want to
engrave even one act of a full-score unsegmented opera with Lilypond, unless I
had a *very* good workflow (e.g., make 100-200 tweaks, press “compile”, go for
an hour’s jog).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer