Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:14:28 -0400

Hi Urs,

> I realize that I don't have a real idea about the size of our community, and
> particularly regarding the availability of music typesetters who could offer
> reliably continuous engraving services.

This is something I’m interested in as someone who potentially wants to HIRE a
Lilypond assistant, as opposed to offering my own services!  :)

> Is it realistic to say there are always enough engravers at hand to accept
> work?

Can’t wait to hear the final answer.

> I feel that one aspect that makes publishers hesitate to consider LilyPond is
> exactly this question: They know that there will always be a sufficient
> number of available and qualified Finale and Sibelius users, and presumably
> even Score users, but they don't have an idea about this with LilyPond.

+1

> Any opinions or estimates?

My gut reaction (projecting from my own life, of course) is that many of us are
composer-engravers who barely even have time to get our own scores done, or
hobbyists who wouldn’t be appropriate for the job. The “sweet spot” of
qualified engravers with time on their hands is probably pretty small.

Thanks for asking the question!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>