Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:10:38 -0400

Hi Urs (et al.),

> In any projects not all contributors have to be proficient with all aspects,
> particularly not with beautifying the final output.

Agreed.

> Nevertheless people should be able to provide their input without requiring
> too much hand-holding and without producing an inappropriate amount of errors.

That, but also more. They should at least have: a good understanding of best
(or at least better) practices in terms of structuring the Lilypond code
(unless that was done for them beforehand, and they’re just “filling in the
blanks”); a good sense of when a manual process might be replaced efficiently
and effectively with an automated one (e.g., a new function or engraver), even
if they can’t create that solution themselves; etc.

Unless I had seen several examples of the Lilypond code (not just output!) that
someone had generated recently, I wouldn’t even consider sending them a
hand-written manuscript to engrave from scratch.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>