ChordNames vs. \numericTimeSignature: used to be OK, not now

From: James Harkins
Subject: ChordNames vs. \numericTimeSignature: used to be OK, not now
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 10:19:53 +0800

*sigh* Most of the time, LilyPond is amazing. Other times...

I have an old document, a lead sheet, following basically the form an excerpt
[A]. This prints out as I would expect: a single staff with melody, lyrics
below and chord names above the staff.

I have a new document, following almost exactly the same form, where LP insists
on printing an extraneous clef and time signature for the chord names context.
I can get this second document to print correctly by removing
\numericTimeSignature from the global variable, and moving it into the staff
proper.

What I don't understand is -- why does [A] work perfectly well, even though the
chord names context includes \numericTimeSignature???? I've tried to replicate
the exact structure in the older document, and I simply can't break it. And I
can't make the new document behave like the old one.

See [B] for minimal examples.

hjh

[A]

global = {
  \key f \major
  \numericTimeSignature
  \time 4/4
  \tempo "Swing" 4 = 154
}

\score {
  <<
    \new ChordNames {
      \global
      \chordsVerse etc. etc.
    }
    \new Staff <<
      \global
      {
        \notesVerseOne etc. etc.
      }
      \addlyrics { etc. etc. }

}

[B]
\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

globalBroken = { \numericTimeSignature \key f \major }

globalOK = { \key f \major }

changes = \chordmode { f2 d2:m7 g2:m7 c2:7 }

\score {
  \new ChordNames << \globalBroken \changes >>
}

\score {
  \new ChordNames << \globalOK \changes >>
}

\score {
  \new ChordNames { \globalBroken \changes }
}

\score { <<
  \new ChordNames { \globalBroken \changes }
  \new Staff { \globalBroken R1*2 }
>> }

\score { <<
  \new ChordNames { \globalOK \changes }