Re: "procedure" vs. "function"

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: "procedure" vs. "function"
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 12:55:22 +0100

> On 18 Apr 2015, at 11:15, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2015-04-18 at 11:51 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just stumbled over a terminology issue: are "procedure" and "function"
>> synonyms in Scheme or do they refer to different things?
> The Guile reference manual uses the term procedure
>>
>> From my earliest experiences with programming I'd recall the difference
>> to be that functions return a value and procedures don't.
>
> that was a common terminological distinction for some programming
> languages at one time apparently.

I think it was Pascal that introduced a distinction between a Procedure (which
does something without returning a value) and a Function (which does something
AND returns a value).

In C there are only Functions, but in many instances the returned value isn’t
of any interest and is ignored, so they’re Procedures in all but name.

If forced to choose, I like the Pascal way - it makes it quite clear that you
intend no value to be returned by a Procedure, and that if you write a Function
you really do want a result.

Horses for courses, I suppose!

Michael