Re: "procedure" vs. "function"

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: "procedure" vs. "function"
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 19:26:52 +1000

Yes, it is quite muddy!

I just took a look at the Guile 2.0 reference manual. Generally they use procedure but the book also uses the term function interchangeably further on inside, so I suppose it does not matter so much! No doubt the book is written by a large team of authors.

An argument for using one single term is that by using two terms, it implies the possibility that they refer to two different things, which is not the case (hence the confusion about returning a value or not).

Andrew