Re: Something wrong with transposing instruments? (Was: Re: Survey: Larg

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Something wrong with transposing instruments? (Was: Re: Survey: Large scores)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:00:46 -0400

Hi Gilles,

>> [...]
>>
>> Another thing: For me, also the implementation of transposing
>> instruments is less than ideal (I prefer to write the pitches in
>> concert pitch and have them transposed for the parts, rather than the
>> other way around, as it is implemented at the moment).
>> [...]
>
> Can you give an example?  To my knowledge, both ways of encoding are
> equally simple in LilyPond. [But I perhaps I misunderstood what you
> mean.]

This wasn’t from me… but I wholeheartedly agree: Lily’s default/built-in
implementation of transposing instruments is rather incomplete/poor (see, for
example,
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-01/msg00201.html> and
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-05/msg00067.html> for an
idea of the problems and workarounds).

I believe there has been some recent improvement via openlilylib, but I haven’t
had time to investigate

 In any case, the main distro should have much better tools to handle
transposing instruments more deftly.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer