Re: Paper size survey

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Paper size survey
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 09:24:38 +0200

Am 20.04.2015 um 09:17 schrieb Richard Shann:
On Mon, 2015-04-20 at 08:50 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 20.04.2015 um 08:45 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
So Ponders,
What size paper do you print scores on?

I use A4 exclusively, only because that's my printer's capacity (and its
cheap locally).
I'm primarily creating stuff for my own use, and avoid page turns by
opening out three, even sometimes four, pages of A4, having stuck the
pages together with sticky tape.
A4 exclusively, sometimes folded A3
I'm puzzled, if you fold A3 don't you just get two pages of A4?

Yes, but I think the question was about the actual media and hardware to use (and buy), and so it is something different.

  (but only when letting print through external service providers).
Is there a typo in this sentence? (when getting [it] print[ed] ... ???)

Yes, that's what I mean. I don't own an A3 printer.

But I always suffer from that being somewhat too small for really
usable scores. If I had the printer or would find a suitable service
provider I would prefer folded A3+
yes, a bigger page would be better, but it would be expensive in the
current situation :(

Yes. There's a reason why most classical publications use larger paper. I think LilyPond's default page layout (i.e. the page margins on A4) is quite ugly, but if you make the margins larger you have a significantly too small page area and line width for notation, so it's probably a necessary compromise (think of the page layout LaTeX gives you if you simply throw some text on its default document classes).

Urs

Richard