Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:59:42 +0200

On 2015-04-17 15:03, Urs Liska wrote:
- most people in the business have moved away from taken the status quo
  with Finale and Sibelius for granted.
- they know that they *have* to find new answers.
- many (except a few die-hard reactionists) see that LilyPond and friends *can* offer answers to their questions
- but they also see that these are maybe not the only possible answers and
- that we (currently) can't guarantee straightforward migration paths.

Market is hard, and everything is moving quite slowly, of course.
But IF we should be able to come up with convincing solutions or at least roadmaps I see that we now have better chances than ever to get LilyPond a foot in the door with the publishing business in general.

Sorry for that elaborate text, but I think it is important and hopefully fruitful.
Indeed!

I only want to make a short personal comment at this point and I may or may not enter the real debate later:

As someone who has made the journey from (one of) the two established notation programs to LilyPond, I'm convinced it was the right decision for me but it would honestly be hard for me to recommend it for anyone else - composer or editor - at this point. In this respect I agree with your concern, Urs. But in analogy with Linux and others, LilyPond has a great community where some contribute to the core and others contribute to making tools, documentation etc that makes the "rough core" accessible to more people! So in my view we are more or less rapidly closing in on the point where it would be possible to recommend it to more than a few (albeit not all).

Urs, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for all your effort in making LilyPond better!

Best
Peter