Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:02:06 +0200

Am 20.04.2015 um 12:00 schrieb Federico Bruni:
So I don’t quite understand the need to help out these companies. What exactly is the motivation? What would they put back to the lilypond development effort?

Maybe nothing, but never say never...

Possible advantages:

- you, as a typesetter, may be allowed to submit lilypond projects to them. I don't know this market but I guess that a publishing company wants to own the source files (they can understand and edit) and not just the PDF.
- if they use LilyPond they may be interested in sponsoring some features.
- if LilyPond was used by some of the major publishing companies, it would get a better "status" and be accepted in music schools. If more students learned using lilypond, they might contribute to Mutopia.

I have written two detailed posts to this thread (which I want to be reviewed before actually posting), but I think these points are very important. To add to your list is that acceptance with music publishers would stop ruling out engravers who work for music publishers as users for LilyPond.

Urs