best practices for volta (was Re: Problem with repeat alternative ending

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: best practices for volta (was Re: Problem with repeat alternative endings that contain lyrics andleading rests)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:05:49 -0400

Hi all,

On Apr 19, 2015, at 6:11 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
> \score {
>  <<
>    \new Staff {
>      \time 2/4
>      \new Voice = "melody" {
>        \relative c'' {
>          a4 a a a
>          \repeat volta 2 { b4 b }
>          \alternative { { \vrest b } { \vrest c } }
>        }
>      }
>    }
>    \new Lyrics {
>      \lyricsto "melody" {
>        Not re -- peat -- ed.
>        \repeat volta 2 { Re -- peat }
>        \alternative { { "" twice. } { "" twice. } }
>      }
>    }
>>>
> }

Looking at that example gives my brain hives.  ;)

Is it really a best practice to put \repeat volta structures in multiple
locations? I just responded to a post a few days ago where (I believe, though
the OP hasn’t followed it through to terminus) the primary source of the
compilation troubles was asynchronous voltas.

1. Shouldn’t we be [heavily] promoting, even in tiny snippets, the use of
global variables to hold \repeat structures that are used in multiple places?

2. And in this particular example, why use \repeat at all in the lyrics?
Doesn’t the following (with the unnecessary braces left in for structural
clarity) work equally well?

   \new Lyrics {
     \lyricsto "melody" {
       Not re -- peat -- ed.
       Re -- peat { { "" twice. } { "" twice. } }

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info