Re: Jianpu Notation

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Jianpu Notation
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:59:44 -0400

Hi David,

> On Apr 19, 2015, at 7:28 PM, Super-User <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I am impressed by your code! You have really made things automated!

Thanks!  I am attaching the next revision to this email.

> To note about improvement, accidentals in jianpu look identical to those in
> standard notation, but the baseline is about 0.75 height position of numeric
> note head height button up.

I haven’t done anything about this or any other spacing adjustments.  It would
be great if you could work on the spacing parts since you know Jianpu and what
it should look like.  Feel free to ask questions on this list if you need to.

> Lines indicating duration (aka. beams) should be horizontally linked together
> the same way as 5-stave notation.

This will probably be tricky and/or difficult to do.  Maybe it is possible by
overriding beams and flags rather than adding these symbols to the note head
stencil?  This is difficult though because the octave dots fall below these
duration dashes for 8th notes, 16th, 32nd, etc. So the positioning won’t be
easy.

> I have tried changing "\key c \major" to "\key d \major", and found that
> rules dealing with accidentals are still in the old way(eg. the second note
> should be flat-7, not natural-7).

The latest version (attached) includes a custom accidental sign engraver to
provide Jianpu accidentals.  I may have missed some edge cases, but I don’t
think so. (There are no triple sharp or triple flat glyphs in LilyPond so I
reached the limit of what can be done there.)  Let me know if you find
accidentals that are not right.

The shorter rests (8th, 16th, 32nd, etc.) are now fixed as well.

Wikipedia shows the following for dotted half and whole notes, which is still
not supported:

Whole (semibreve):  1 - - -
Dotted whole:           1 - - - - -
Double dotted:          1 - - - - - -
Half (minim):             1 -
Dotted half:               1 - -
Double dotted:          1 - - ·

I’m sure there are other things too, but this is a good start.  Hopefully I’ve
given you enough to build on, since I have other things I need to work on and
I’m not sure how much more time I’ll be able to spend on this for now.

Cheers,
-Paul