Music notation in our lives survey RESULTS

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Music notation in our lives survey RESULTS
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 15:21:38 -0600

All,

I realize that I was just keeping this information to myself, so I decided, particularly with the recent discussions about the future of LilyPond in and out of the commercial world, I thought I'd publish some of the results of the survey I launched last July. Here are the results of the first three non-font specific questions (if anyone is interested in the font-related ones, I can post those too):

WHAT'S YOUR AFFILIATION WITH MUSIC? (Select all that apply)

Casual Musician (36/55, 65.5%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Listen for enjoyment (24/55, 43.6%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Professional Performer (21/55, 38.2%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Something else that's awesome! (21/55, 38.2%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Conductor (14/55, 25.5%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Publisher (11/55, 20%)
XXXXXXXXXXX

Historian (3/55, 5.5%)
XXX

WHY DO YOU ENGRAVE MUSIC? (Select all that apply)

For the fun of it (37/55, 67.3%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When I need to clean up someone else's score orĀ
transpose an instrument (36/55, 65.5%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I do it on the side (28/55, 50.9%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It's how I make a living (15/55, 27.3%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Historical re-publications (14/55, 25.5%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

WHAT NOTATION/ENGRAVING SOFTWARE DO YOU USE ON A REGULAR BASIS?
(Select all that apply)

LilyPond (54/54, 100%)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Paper & Pencil (11/54, 20.4%)
XXXXXXXXXXX

Sibelius (8/54, 14.8%)
XXXXXXXX

Finale (7/54, 13%)
XXXXXXX

Something else (5/54, 9.3%)
XXXXX

MuseScore (4/54, 7.4%)
XXXX

SCORE (1/54, 1.9%)

Denemo (1/54, 1.9%)

I don't know if there's anything for me to interpret from this being that it's such a potentially small number of people who responded, but it's interesting anyway. I'm definitely interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts concerning these demographics.

Regards,
Abraham