Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:53:58 +0200

Even after a few years of using LP, it's still kind of a mindf... erm, mind-blower that notes appear close together in the score but they may be written in widely separated locations in the LP code. I'm used to programming and it's slightly bizarre even to me. For a musician who just wants to lay out a nice string arrangement, "viola bar 37 is on line 254, but cello bar 37 is on line 401???" What I'm saying is not just about usability. It's that LP's input structure goes against the way music lives in our heads -- meaning that LP's user base can include only those who are willing to adapt to an unfamiliar way of thinking for the sake of the better output.

I agree, but splitting the editor view can help. You probably know it already, but I guess that many new users will ignore this possibility.

I meant to suggest adding some editor tips in the Usage manual.. one year ago (time flies..):
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-04/msg00676.html

I've just added an issue to the tracker: