Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 14:20:34 +0200

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:52:10 +0200
Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> > One way is to enter your music in parallel
>
> But one has to admit that this more or less requires you to enter your
> music accordingly *beforehand*.
> And I think with this you'd deprive yourself of significant advantages
> that LilyPond's horizontal apporach has regarding stability.

I would very much like to understand what you mean.

Simplified, I see no functional differences between

  voiceA = { Abar1 | Abar2 | Abar3 | Abar4 }
  voiceB = { Bbar1 | Bbar2 | Bbar3 | Bbar4 }
  voiceC = { Cbar1 | Cbar2 | Cbar3 | Cbar4 }
  voiceD = { Dbar1 | Dbar2 | Dbar3 | Dbar4 }

and

\parallelMusic #'(voiceA voiceB voiceC voiceD) {
   Abar1 | Bbar1 | Cbar1 | Dbar1 |
   Abar2 | Bbar2 | Cbar2 | Dbar2 |
   Abar3 | Bbar3 | Cbar3 | Dbar3 |
   Abar4 | Bbar4 | Cbar4 | Dbar4 |
}

Both have pros and cons. A relatively straighforward tool (e.g., python-ly,
as mentioned) should be able to convert one form into another and vice
versa.

-- Johan