Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:20:38 -0400

Hi Simon,

>> 1. In 2013, I composed and engraved a piece with nearly 12,000 frames (57
>> staves x 208 measures). It contains two sections (of ~32 and ~16 measures)
>> which were specifically added "for That Production” (and, as such, contain
>> “external material”). Now I want to modify the piece — someone has asked to
>> license it for performance later this year. So I want to either eliminate
>> those two sections, or replace them with different transitional material, so
>> that I can publish a “standalone” work, separate from “That Production”.
>>
>> 2. One of my stage musicals (“Robin Hood: The Legendary Musical Comedy”) has
>> been picked up for further development. It comprises nearly three dozen
>> cues, each ranging from a few measures up to over 200; and there are 23
>> staves at its thickest point. In the Finale (the longest and most complex
>> cue!), we want to trim the coda by [an internal] 16 measures for the next
>> version.

> What about refining and extending usability of \showFirstLength and
> \showLastLength for purposes like this?

Something like that might work… I’d love to have a discussion some time about
how that might be implemented.

The current workaround, of course, is to use \tag around the section(s) in
question. In particular, that method [relatively] easily solves “hide these 16
measures” types of situations (like my Example #2) and “depending on the
version/edition, use either THIS or THIS” (like my Example #1). But hunting
down each chunk of code — spread, as it is, across several global variables and
60-some other notes and lyrics variables — is painful.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info