Re: Is GridLY the future? (Was: Do we really offer the future?)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Is GridLY the future? (Was: Do we really offer the future?)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:41:39 +0200

Am 22.04.2015 um 21:29 schrieb Gilles:
Hello.

I think you could vastly benefit from using openLilyLib's GridLY
library. Of course thst's only viable for new projects.

That looks interesting just from a quick reading of
  https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/ly/gridly

I stumbled upon that page only through a web search...

The "openlilylib" web site refers to github but then it is not
clear what functionality can be found there and how to install
and use it (the links of the examples at the bottom of the above
page point to nowhere).

a)
There is a fundamental reorganization of openLilyLib going on at the moment. The "new" infrastructure, along with _some_ content (the amount of content that is needed to develop the infrastructure against) is all contained in the /ly directory. Everything outside is the "old" stuff which is basically a bunch of loosely-organized snippets.

b)
When the basics of that reorganizations are sufficiently completed (and one of the most important points here is the creation of a decent auto-generated web documentation) all contributors will be asked to help migrating the existing content to the new structure

c)
When that is ready the openlilylib.org website will be relaunched, including references of the libraries in subdomains, such as (not existing yet) gridly.openlilylib.org. We'll have to see if that seems "persistent" enough then to be referenced from the LilyPond documentation.

Is this something to be included in LilyPond at some point?
If not, why?

The main objective of openLilyLib (old and new) is providing a platform for extending LilyPond without having to integrate everything in the core. This is a) because not every extension should bloat the core and b) even when something would fit well it is often extremely hard to get new functionality past the doorkeepers ... But in principle openLilyLib can be seen as a development platform for functionality that may eventually be included into LilyPond. Examples are Jan-Peter Voigt's edition-engraver that should definitely become a core part one day, and (very current example) notation font selection: while working on that some issues arose that made Abraham and I started developing some things directly in the LilyPond code base instead of in openLilyLib. We're right now preparing a patch.

Urs

Thanks,
Gilles