Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 22:30:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, Larry Kent wrote:

I get frustrated when I'm looking for something to answer the question "How do
I increase/decrease the space between the bottom system and the
footer?" ...and cannot find an answer that begins "Here's how to increase/decrease
the space between the bottom system and the footer."

At the root of the problem is that the documentation allows you to think that
lilypond is a program to organize music.  When it is really a
program to organize grobs.

I have been using LilyPond for some time now but still have problems finding and understanding the subject of tweaking and changing defaults. Yes, the info is all there in the manuals. And with the help of the kind and helpful people in this mailinglist I have always been able to solve any problem I encountered.

Stiil, I will try to give a sketch what happens to me again and again:

I want to learn about how to change defaults and how to tweak default output so I open the Notation Reference:

Notation Refence -> 5. Changing Defaults
" A tutorial introduction to accessing and modifying these properties can be found in the Learning Manual, see Tweaking output. This should be read first " -->

Learning Manual -> 4. Tweaking Output -> 4.1 Tweaking Basics
->4.1.1 Introduction to tweaks

"Before starting on this Chapter you may wish to review the section Contexts and engravers, as Contexts, Engravers, and the Properties contained within them are fundamental to understanding and constructing Tweaks." -->

LM 3.3 Contexts and Engravers -> 3.3.1 Contexts explained -->
also see NR 5.1.1 Contexts explained -->

etc etc

The end of the story is: I have read a lot of interesting stuff and learnt a lot, but still don't know how to make a particular tweak or change some default setting. Fortunately I can very often find answers to my questions in the snippets repository, or in the mailinglist archives.

--

MT