Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 19:10:02 -0400

Hi Larry,

> I get frustrated when I'm looking for something to answer the question "How
> do I increase/decrease the space between the bottom system and the footer?"
> ...and cannot find an answer that begins "Here's how to increase/decrease the
> space between the bottom system and the footer.”

When I Google “lilypond space footer”, the third hit is
<http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-paper-variables>,
 in which section I find both an example of setting a spacing alist
(specifically score-system-spacing) and the description

    last-bottom-spacing
    the distance from the last system or top-level markup on a page to the
bottom of the printable area (i.e. the top of the bottom margin)

Now, from there you definitely need to put 2 and 2 together to get 4… which I
understand to be the big stumbling block for many new users.

The difficulty is that there is neither time nor space nor contributor interest
in developing “full answers” for all of the spacing questions that could
possibly be asked — even just addressing the eight spacing items in that
section would be overwhelming for both writer and reader.

> If Lilypond such a complex program that I should not expect it to meet me at
> the intersection I just described?

Yes, unfortunately.

What we *can* do is, like a librarian, tell anyone where to find the books they
need to build a deck; what we *can’t* do is provide the design for every
conceivable deck configuration that someone might want to build.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info